Keeping your child’s teeth in tip-top shape can be a tough task, but it’s important to prioritize your child’s oral health. Here are some tips and tricks for caring for your child’s teeth:
- Start early: Begin cleaning your child’s gums even before their teeth come in. Use a damp cloth to wipe their gums after feedings.
- Brush regularly: Once your child’s teeth start coming in, brush them twice a day with a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste. Turn the routine into a fun activity by playing their favorite song and having a dance party while they brush.
- Let them choose their toothbrush: Take your child to the store and let them pick out a toothbrush with their favorite character or color. Just make sure it’s a toothbrush that is appropriate for your child’s age and size.
- Try colorful flossers and mouthwash: As soon as your child has two teeth next to each other, start flossing between them daily. Opt for an alcohol-free mouthwash.
- Set up a toothbrushing chart: Create a chart where your child can track their progress. Give them stickers or rewards for brushing their teeth twice a day.
- Play dentist: Encourage your child to pretend to be a dentist and brush the teeth of their favorite stuffed animals or dolls. This will make them feel in control and more comfortable with the dental care process.
- Visit the dentist: Schedule your child’s first dental visit around their first birthday or when their first teeth appear. Ask your child’s dentist about dental sealants, which can protect their teeth from cavities.
- Be a role model: Set a good example for your child by prioritizing your own dental care. Start a routine of cleaning your teeth at the same time each day to each other accountable.
By following these tips and tricks, you can help promote your child’s oral health and prevent dental problems in the future. Remember, starting good dental habits early can lead to a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums. If you have more questions or would like to schedule an appointment for your child, get in touch!